Facilities & Directions
The W.S. Hanner Fieldhouse serves as the home of Eagle basketball and volleyball. Completed in 1969, the facility is named for the late W.S. “Shep” Hanner, the school’s faculty athletic chairman from 1935 to 1959. Hanner also served at various times as tennis coach, assistant football coach, professor and chairman of the Division of Exercise Sciences.
The Fieldhouse is actually part of the larger Hanner Complex, which houses the Health, Physical Education and Professional Studies as well as most of the Eagle men's coaches offices. In addition to the main basketball arena, the complex contains a smaller gymnasium, a weight room, a gymnastic/aerobic room, an eight-lane collegiate swimming facility and athletic training facilities.
During the summer of 1995, the University completed a $500,000 renovation to Hanner Fieldhouse. Wooden bleachers at floor level were replaced with chairback seats, new floor graphics were painted and portable baskets with shot clocks were purchased. Outside the arena, the basketball locker rooms and coaches’ offices were also renovated.